MAICon Art Competition
Do you love illustrating your own stories? Simply enjoy creating art? Well come and show off your artwork in the Art Competition! We have many different categories for artists of all ages with great prizes to be won! It doesn’t matter if you paint, draw, sculpt, work on computer or by hand, everything and anything goes! Just remember to bring your work along and display it in our art room! Entries must be in before 2pm on Saturday. Make sure you stick around for the closing ceremony to see if you’ve won!
What can I enter?
Anything that relates to anime and/or Japanese culture: fanart, anthro, original character designs, science fiction, fantasy, mecha, penguins, feudal, magic… the list is practically endless. However, only images with a G or PG rating can be displayed in the art room. Higher rated images will still be judged. If concerned about your image’s rating please discuss with the art room’s volunteer. We also accept a wide range of media including: drawing, paintings, sculpture, animation, computer graphics or any visual art form. However all digital work must be printed and forms of writing are not accepted. If you enjoy writing, why not join our fanfiction competition?
• Best Premade Traditional
This category includes all artwork made prior to or outside of the festival, which was created using traditional means (paint, pencils, copic markers etc). So do you have a piece you’ve been tolling endlessly over or something that has taken a little more preparation? Then this category is for you!
• Best Digital
This category includes all artwork created though digital means (video, 3D Modelling, Photoshop etc). So if you have a piece you’ve been fighting your computer to produce or you just prefer to use your mouse, then make sure you enter this category. Please note the final artwork will need to be printed in some format and hung up in the AICon Art Room.
• Best Weekend
For all artworks that are created during the MAICon festival. The art room provides a range of art materials and paper for you to create your own work at MAICon! You can even bring your own stationary. Due to your unbelievable quickness, you get your own category!
• Best Themed
This category helps artists celebrate the festival’s theme: Mecha! Entries in this category may include our mascots, but it is not a requirement. Show us your favourite characters in mechanised forms!
This includes hand-made plushies, sculpture, paper bas reliefs, modified my little ponies, dioramas etc. Be creative, we want to see what you can come up with. Do note to keep work within 50x50x50cm space so there is enough room for everybody.
• Best Prop
Any homemade prop from an existing fandom may be submitted into this competition! Please mark down the name of the prop (if available) and from which fandom it is from.
• Unedited Photographic Image
The unedited photographic image category allows for unaltered images post shot to be entered into the Art Competition. Images must be either cosplay, fashion or popular culture related. Please state on the entry form what equipment you have used.
• Edited Photographic Image
The edited photographic image category allows for altered images to be entered into the Art Competition. Images must be either cosplay, fashion or popular culture related. Please state on the entry form what equipment you have used.
• New Blood
If you’re under the age of 15 and are dreaming of becoming an artist one day, then enter this category! We’re looking for those up and coming artistic stars! So if you fit this age classification, go for it!
• Best Overall
This is an award that the judges will choose as the overall winner of the MAICon Art Competition. All artwork is automatically entered into this category.
• Under 12’s Colouring In
Enjoy colouring in and want to show off your skills? Enter the under 12’s colouring in category! Colouring in sheets are available in the art room at MAICon.
• Over 12’s Colouring In
Like colouring in? Haven’t been aged twelve since Lost was on TV? Well do we have a Colouring In Category for you! Colouring in sheets are available in the art room at MAICon.
Terms and Conditions:
- An entry, as defined by TasPop, is a form of artwork being entered in the art competition.
- An entrant, as defined by TasPop, is the artist who created the entry.
- An entry must be accompanied by a completed Art Competition entry form to be qualified for the Art Competition. Forms will be available at the Art Room and must be fully completed.
- Artwork cannot be pre-entered or entered online. All artwork needs to be submitted to the Art Room during the festival, before 3pm Sunday for AICon and 3pm Saturday for MAICon.
- Entries must fit the description of the category they are entered in.
- An entry must be the entrant’s own work. A person representing the entrant may enter the work in the contest, but the entry must be entered under the entrant’s name. Entries that are not the entrant’s own work will be disqualified, and entrants found to do this will be banned from entering future competitions.
- By entering the art contest, all entrants give TasPop permission to display, photograph and scan their art entries for promotional purposes. However the entrant will always be mentioned as the artist.
- Each entry can be included in any category as long as it fulfills the requirements of the categories.
- An entrant may enter more than one entry.
- An entrant can only win one art category.
- An entry, which has a rating of M or higher, cannot be displayed in the art room, but is still eligible for the competition. Please hand such entries to the art room volunteer or info desk.
- Digital entries must be printed and displayed in the art room. (TasPop does not supply printing facilities at the festivals. Printing must be done by the entrant).
- To ensure there is space for everyone’s artwork, no 2D entry is to be bigger than an A3 page and 3D entries no larger than 50cmx50cmx50cm.
- The judges’ decisions are final.
- Winners will be announced at the closing ceremony.
- Collecting artwork is the responsibility of the entrant. If you are unable to attend the closing ceremony, it is up to the artist to make alternate arrangements for artwork/prize collection. Artwork and prizes will NOT be mailed.