Panelists & Demonstrators : Information & Application
Do you have a burning passion for a particular topic? Do you want to explain things like Homestuck or Steven’s Universe to an interested audience? Or maybe you have experience in a field such as game development and would like to share your knowledge while promoting the material you’ve worked on?
But maybe you want to show off your well-honed skills, either individually or as a group, in martial arts? Or medieval fighting skills? Maybe you have a knack for finer things such as tea ceremonies or calligraphy?
Then holding a panel or cultural demonstration at MAICon may be for you! Fill out our application form linked at the bottom of the page to express your interest today.
What is a Panel?
A panel is a presentation which seeks to inform the audience on a particular topic. They may take the form of presentations, lectures, ‘meet the characters’, or interviews and Q&A’s, among other things. Topics can range from anime and manga, cosplay, video games, popular television programs, web series, or even industry related topics such as production or licensing.
All panels will be provided either a 30 minute or 1 hour time slot. Please plan your panel to run at least 5 minutes under your allotted time, to allow time for set-up time between panels.
What is a Demonstration?
A demonstration is a performance of a cultural practice, tradition, or a physical activity in either an open or enclosed setting. Examples of past cultural demonstrations include martial arts, sword fighting, dancing, LEGO creations, and tea ceremonies, among other examples.
Length of Demonstrations are to be determined with the demonstrators.
At the bottom of this page is a form that you may fill out in order to apply for a spot on the roster. Please be aware that, while partly a first-come, first-serve basis, we are trying to avoid double-ups of similar panels and demonstrations.
When you submit the form, please allow up to a week for a confirmation email.
Rules and Regulations:
- All general rules, terms and conditions regarding MAICon and other TasPop events apply in regards to panels and cultural demonstrations.
- All material on the provided form must be accurate (as of submission).
- All equipment that needs to be plugged into a powerpoint must be tested and tagged before being brought to the festival.
- The final selection of Panellists and Cultural Demonstrators will be eligible for free entry into AICon. (Please note that this may not apply in regards to entry for additional persons assisting with panels or cultural demonstrations.)
- Mature content must be indicated on the provided form. Failure to do so will result in repercussions as set out in terms and conditions.
- The TasPop Committee reserves the right to refuse or terminate a panel or cultural demonstration at any stage.
- Panels and Cultural Demonstrations may be terminated due to a variety of reasons, including but not limited to: containing material that is hateful, inflammatory, or damaging; presenting nudity, real or animated; endorsing acts or activities that are illegal or morally questionable.
- Failure to comply with these terms and conditions after agreement may result in action being taken, up to and including exclusion from future festivals and TasPop events.
Please be aware times and locations may change in the lead up to the festival. Please regularly check your email in case of these instances (for those applying).